Today is Tuesday and I’m not in the mood to go there with some of y’all and y’alls church. However, I did come across this list called “10 Lies The Black Church Tells About Being Gay” that I thought was worth sharing. I’m hesitant sometimes about posting thins like this because often times the comments section because a cesspool for hate and not a breeding ground for learning. I’ll say this, we are all entitled to our beliefs and rights to exercise whatever religion we would like. However, I feel we don’t not have the right to exercise our views and religious beliefs to the magnitude in which it infringes upon others peoples ability to live peacefully.
I too was a kid who grew up in the church with a grandmother who let it be known from the time i was a toddler that you would burn in hell if you were gay. The terms faggot, sissie, and punk were used so freely as a child that even now I don’t get what the big deal is about calling people faggots. That word was common place in the streets of Miami. Non the less, during my evolution, the last battle I had to fight was this internal conflict that God did not accept me because I was gay, yet I was born this way, yet i was perfect because I was made in his likeness and his image. Chile i was so damn tired of being confused I just rejected the whole damn notion. It’s silly.
I could go on and on regarding this subject. Check out the list and let me know what you think.
- Demon possession. There is no homosexual demon or any demon of that nature. It’s a lie and silly one at that.
- Homosexuality is designed to break up the black family. No, ignorance and bigotry causes the problems in the family. A true loving family looks beyond someone’s sexuality or gender, and remains loving and supportive.
- You can be delivered from homosexuality through prayer. Nope, you can’t pray the gay away, but you will waste a lot of time on your knees.
- Finding someone of the opposite sex to chase away “those feelings”. That doesn’t work. Why would you force yourself to be with someone you are not attracted to?
- Lack of a father figure leads to homosexuality. That’s a huge myth; many LGBT people come from a two-parent household.
- Sexual abuse is the cause of homosexuality… Please.
- The Bible says it’s a sin. Okay, if we’re going to play that game the Bible also says being drunk is a sin and debating is a sin. Hell, they’re over 600 sins. If you are going to pick just one, you have to pick them all.
- You are a broken person if you are gay, trans or lesbian. Donnie McClurkin preaches to his church members that we are broken, and we will never be whole until we give up our homosexuality. This is also a lie. By being honest and open, we are completely whole and true to ourselves.
- Homosexuality is a curse. Really? It’s not a spell from a wicked queen. It’s who we are; it’s who we’re meant to be.
- You will burn in Hell. I can’t imagine burning in Hell for being yourself or sharing your life with someone you love. If this is so wrong, how can we be capable of love?