Facebook has gotten itself riled up all in a tizzy over the above packaging for a baby carrier. If either one of the above 2 products would have been within my field of vision separately, I would not have looked at either of them twice. HOWEVER, placed side by side, one can’t help but raise an eyebrow.
I’m the farthest thing away from a conspiracy theorist. I honestly just don’t feel that people have the time or are smart enough to launch these major conspiracies and be able to predict the outcome. With that, I was very careful not to jump on the “Angry Black People” train arbitrarily . Over there years, I have been trained to suppress my desire to react, and to think critically before doing so. Upon first glance, things look a little suspect, but after further investigation maybe not so much…
My thought process was as follows:
- Hmmmm these two things look alike and are both baby carries
- Wait a minute, one of them is a regular carrier, and the other is an organic one
- These two products are not the same
- Is there a regular carrier with a black couple on it?
- Is there an organic carrier with just a single white woman on it?
- If there is an organic carrier with just a single white woman on it, then this is not racism
- If there is a regular carrier with a black couple on it, this is not racism
- If there are any other derivatives of the carrier that feature single woman of various races, then it most likely isn’t racism and people are just reaching.
- If there are any other derivatives of the carrier that feature couples, and non of them are black, then this is probably intentional racism
These are all the questions I asked myself before I decided to render my 2 cents on social media. The backlash from the photo prompted the manufacturer of the baby carrier to issues a statement. Check it out below. Continue reading